Safety & Security
Northeastern Connecticut Transit District takes safety and security very seriously and strives to make your trip as safe and pleasant as possible. For the comfort and safety of all passengers, the following conduct is expected of all passengers using NECTD services:
- Pay or show your pass promptly upon boarding the bus.
- Cooperate with requests from NECTD personnel.
- Be considerate.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- FOR YOUR SAFETY, please do not touch unattended packages, handbags or backpacks you may find on the buses. Please report them to your transit driver. Also, please do not leave your own belongings unattended.
- Keep aisles free of all items
- Keep all beverages in spill-proof containers
- Allow transit operators to drive their buses safely
- Cross behind buses, and wait until after the buses leave to cross the street
Refrain from behavior that intrudes on the welfare of others including, but not limited to:
- Interfering with the safe operation of any NECTD vehicle.
- Endangering or threatening the welfare of others.
- Profanity or offensive language.
- Screaming, shouting or playing loud music.
- Placing your feet on seats or seat backs, or lying down on the seats.
- Threatening, harassing or intimidating others.
- Possession of an open container of an alcoholic beverage.
- Drunk and/or disorderly conduct.
- Indecent exposure.
- Discharging a laser-emitting device on a transit vehicle, directing such a device from a transit vehicle toward any other moving vehicle or directing such a device toward any transit operator or passenger.
- Bringing onto transit vehicle, odors and substances which unreasonably disturb others or interfere with their use of the transit system, whether such odors or substances are from one’s person, clothes, articles, accompanying animal or any other source.
- Rollerskates and rollerblades cannot be worn on the bus. You may hand carry these items on board.
Anyone who fails to comply may be asked to leave the bus, lose riding privileges, and, when appropriate be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Any of these rules can be appealed by requesting appeal information from the NECTD office at (860) 774-3902.
The following items are prohibited on NECTD:
- Gasoline and other flammable liquids
- Firearms, BB guns, air guns, and knives
- Animals (except service animals and animals confined to a carry-on, lap size box)
- Car batteries
- Baby strollers, shopping carts, and other items must be kept out of aisles.
- Packages left on the bus will be confiscated.
- Please refrain from unnecessary conversation with the driver while the bus is in motion.